Yellow Eye Bean + Swiss Chard Panzanella
A Refreshing Salad Perfect To Cut Through The Rich Flavors Found In Some Of These Other Dishes. A Chili Infused Oil Makes The Base For The Dressing, Adding A Slight Kick To Complement The Radishes And Earthy Flavors Of The Yellow Eye Beans.
Artisan Ingredient Used: Rancho Gordo Yellow Eye Beans
For The Beans Beans
- 1 Bag, Rancho Gordo Yellow Eye Beans
- ¼ Celery Root (celeriac), Peeled + Cut Into Large Pieces
- 2 Large Carrots, Peeled + Halved Crosswise
- 1 Large Leek, Split Lengthwise
- 2 Shallots, Peeled
- 2 Garlic Cloves, Smashed
- 2 Bay Leaves
- 2 Sprigs Thyme
- 3 Tablespoons Kosher Salt
For The Salad
- ½ Small Loaf Country Bread, Torn Into 1 pieces
- ¾ Cup Olive Oil, Divided
- Kosher Salt
- 1 Red Thai Chile, Finely Chopped
- 1 Small Garlic Clove, Finely Grated
- ½ Cup, Apple Cider Vinegar
- 10 Cups Red Swiss Shard, stemmed + Torn Into 2-inch Pieces. About 2 Bunches.
- 8 Breakfast Radishes, Trimmed + Thinly Sliced Lengthwise on a Mandoline
- 1 Shallot, Peeled + Thinly Sliced Into Rings
For The Beans
- Combine beans, celery root, carrots, leek, shallots, garlic, bay leaves, thyme, 3 Tbsp. salt, and 6 cups water in a medium pot.
- Cover and bring to a boil over medium heat, then lower heat and simmer until beans are tender, 15–45 minutes.
- Season with salt and let beans cool in liquid, about 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 425°. Toss bread with ¼ cup oil on a rimmed baking sheet; season with salt. Bake until golden brown, 15–20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, whisk chile, garlic, vinegar, 1 tsp. salt, and remaining ½ cup oil in a small bowl.
- Drain beans and carrots; pick out and discard other ingredients.
- Cut carrots diagonally into 2" pieces.
- Toss beans and chard with ½ cup dressing in a large bowl, then divide among plates. Top salad with radishes, shallot, carrots, croutons, and more dressing.