Wondergrain “Risotto Style”
Preparation time: Approx. 15 minutes
Cooking time: Approx. 1 hour and 45 minutes if cooking the mushrooms at the same time. If mushrooms are cooked ahead of time, then approx. 40 minutes.
Servings: Approx. 4 to 6 servings
2 Large Leeks (white and pale green parts only), halved lengthwise, then thinly sliced crosswise
1 Cup, Whipping Cream
1 Pound, Shiitake Mushrooms, stemmed, cut into 1/4- to 1/3-inch-thick slices (or 5 packs of 3.5 ounces each)
½ Medium Onion, thinly sliced lengthwise
4 Tablespoons or ½ Stick Butter, melted
1 Tablespoon, White Truffle Oil
2 Teaspoons, Minced Fresh Thyme Leaves (leaves only, no stems)
“Risotto style” Wongergrain Sorghum
4 Tablespoons or ½ Stick Butter, divided
½ Medium Onion, finely chopped
1 ½ Cups uncooked Wondergrain Pearled Sorghum
1 Cup, Dry White Wine
7-9 Cups, Hot Chicken or Vegetable Broth
½ Cup, Grated Parmesan Cheese
Fresh thyme for garnish
- Bring leeks and cream to a boil in heavy medium saucepan. Immediately reduce heat to medium/low and simmer until leeks are tender and cream is thick, stirring often, about 10 to 15 minutes (Don’t let it become very dry so check if after 10 minutes).
- Season LIGHTLY with salt and pepper.
- DO AHEAD OF TIME: Can be made 1 day ahead. Cover and chill. Warm up before mixing with dish.
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Toss all ingredients well on rimmed baking sheet, keeping it in one layer as much as possible for even browning. Sprinkle LIGHTLY with salt and pepper.
- Turn after 20 minutes. Roast until mushrooms are tender and light brown around edges (not burned), stirring occasionally, about 25 minutes. Keep an eye on it so it doesn’t burn.
- Save a few pieces for garnish.
- DO AHEAD OF TIME: Can be made 1 day ahead. Warm up before mixing with dish.
- Melt 2 tablespoons butter in heavy large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and cook until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add Wondergrain; stir 1 minute. Add wine and stir. Cook down until liquid is almost absorbed, about 1 minute. Add 3 cups or more making sure the grain is submerged in liquid.
- Simmer covered until broth is almost absorbed (not dry), stirring often, about 10 minutes. Add more hot broth making sure grain is completely submerged, allowing each addition to be almost absorbed (not dry) before adding more and stirring occasionally.
- Cook about 20 more minutes stirring often when Wondergrain is tender with a bite. DO NOT OVERCOOK. Make sure that there is some liquid left as the mushrooms and the leeks will absorb it. (If you wish, this step may be prepared a couple of hours ahead of time – keep it covered – so all you do is turn the heat back on and assemble when you are ready to serve.)
- When ready to serve, stir in leek mixture (warmed up if prepared ahead of time), mushroom mixture (warmed up if prepared ahead of time), remaining 2 tablespoons butter and cheese (sprinkle cheese all around). Mix well without crushing the grain.
- If too dry, add some more hot liquid. You want it to be very moist. Transfer to large bowl, sprinkle with thyme, mushrooms and serve.