BBQ Portabello | Cabbage | Pickled Red Onion | Brioche
A sandwich to please both vegetarians and meat lovers alike - it's possible, we promise! Chef Eduardo Ruiz hit this one out of the park with a braised portobello mushroom, drenched in Bubba Qs Original Recipe BBQ Sauce, all topped with a refreshing slaw between two toasted brioche buns. Noms.
For the Mushrooms and Rub
8 Portabello Mushrooms
1 Tablespoon, Salt
3 Tablespoons, Brown Sugar
2 Teaspoons, Cayenne Pepper
1 Tablespoon, Black Pepper
4 Tablespoons, Paprika
1 Tablespoon Onion Powder
1 Tablespoon Garlic Powder
1/4 Cup, Olive Oil or Grapeseed Oil
For the Slaw
1 Head Cabbage
6-8 Ounces, Blue Cheese Dressing
1 Cup, Pickled and or Raw onion (depending on how much you like onion)
1 Teaspoon, Salt
For the Pickled Red Onion
1 Cup, Apple Cider Vinegar
1 Large Red Onion
1/4 Cup, White Sugar
For the Garnish
1 Bunch Cilantro, Washed + Freshly Chopped
4 Limes, Quartered + Deseeded
To Kick it up!
2 Avocados, Sliced Thin
8 Brioche Buns, Sliced in Half
4 Ounces, Bubba Q's Original BBQ Sauce
For the Mushroom
- Clean the portabello by using a spoon to remove the gills from beneath the mushrooms.
- Once all the mushrooms are clean, rinse gently with cold water and set on a paper towel to dry.
- Mix all the dried spices in a bowl, once all the spices have been married drizzle in the Olive oil with a whisk making sure the spices don't clump up.
- Evenly coat all the mushrooms with the rub and set in refrigerator or at least one hour.
For the Slaw
- Cut cabbage in quarters, remove core.
- Slice cabbage about 1/8 inch thin and place in a bowl.
- Add pickled onion, raw onion, blue cheese dressing, and salt.
- Mix together and let sit for 5-10 minutes.
- You can add pickle liquid if you would like a more tart slaw.
For the Pickled Red Onions
- In small sauce pan place the apple cider vinegar and sugar.
- On medium heat bring to a simmer until sugar is dissolved.
- Slice the red onion into thin half moons and place in to a small non corrosive container (glass or plastic).
- Pour the hot pickle liquid over the onions, set aside. This step can be done up to a week in advance and kept refrigerated in an air tight container.
Build the Sandwiches
- Preheat grill on medium to high heat.
- Remove mushrooms from the refrigerator and set them on a dry paper towel to absorb excess moisture.
- Place on hot grill and cook for about 4 minutes on each side.
- Note that the brown sugar in the rub will char and mushroom will start to burn on edges, you want this!
- Remove the mushrooms from the grill and place inside the freshly sliced brioche.
- Top with Bubba Q's Original BBQ Sauce, slaw and red onion, add sliced avocados if you would like.
- Garnish with the pickled red onions, freshly chopped cilantro and limes.