Saffron Malloredus | Tomato Butter | Sesame | Mint
Lucious Saffron Malloreddus pasta from Sfoglini Pasta Shop is highlighted by Chef Annie Pettry. Learn how to create tomato butter while mastering this recipe alongside Chef Pettry in her video recipe tutorial.
For The Pasta:
5 Quarts, Water
10 Tablespoons, Salt
1/2 Pound, Sfoglini Saffon Malloreddus
For The Tomato Butter:
1 Cup, Fresh Milled Tomato (recipe below):
- 4 Quarts, Water
- 4 Tablespoons, Salt
- 1 Large Tomato
- 4 Quarts, Ice
1/2 Cup, Reserved Pasta Water
10 Tablespoons, Butter, Cut Into Cubes
2 Teaspoons, Fresh Squeezed Lemon Juice
1 Tablespoon, Red Chili Flakes
1 Tablespoon, Bourbon Barrel Soy Sauce
1 Tablespoon Chives, Cut Into Rings
1 Tablespoon, Parsely, Chopped
4 Tablespoons, Parmesan, Shaved
2 Teaspoons, White Seasame Seeds, Toasted Lightly
2 Tablespoons, Mint, Chiffonade
1-2 Tablespoons, Extra Virgin Olive Oil
For The Fresh Milled Tomato:
1. Bring the water to a rolling boil Add the salt and bring back to a boil.
2. Meanwhile, remove the core of the tomato and cut a shallow X into the bottom. Carefully drop the tomato into the boiling water. Boil for about 30 seconds or until the skin begins to peel off.
3. Remove tomato from water and place in the ice water to cool. Once cool, remove from the ice bath.
4. Working over a mesh strainer into a bowl. peel the tomato, saving the skin. Cut in half width-wise and squeeze out the seeds, savind the juice and the peeled/deseeded tomato in the bowl.
5. Press the skins and seeds agains the strainer to squeeze out all of their juice. Discard the skins and seeds.
6. Pass the juice and the peeled/deseeded tomato through a food mill or puree in a food processor.
For The Pasta:
1. Bring the water to a rolling boil. Add salt and rbing back to a boil.
2. Add the Sfoglini Saffron Malloreddus. Cook for 12-15 minutes or until the pasta is al dente.
3. When the pasta is tender, stain and reserve 1 cup of the pasta water.
1. Heat a skillet large enough to hold all of the pasta.
2. Add the milled tomato, 1/2 cup of the pasta water and chili flake bringing to a simmer.
3. Add the Bourbon Barrel Soy Sauce and butter, swirling the pan so that the butter incorporates with the sauce.
4. Add the lemon juice, chives and parsley.
5. Add the Sfoglini Saffron Malloreddus and continue to swirl the pan. Cook for another 30 seconds or so until the sauce coats all of the noodles. If the sauce is too thick add additional pasta water. Check for seasoning.
6. Divide into 4 bowls. Garnish with shaved parmesan, toasted sesame seeds, mint, and drizzle of olive oil.