#IngredientShowdown: How to make Coconut Pudding Pies
This month, we’re bringing you how-to videos with easy and unique recipes from top tastemakers – featuring artisanal ingredients direct from The Fare Trade.
Finally, we have Nastassia from Let Me Eat Cake using April’s Featured Product – The Jam Stand’s Drunken Monkey Jam - to create practically perfect Coconut Pudding Pies.
2/3 cup sugar
1/4 cup cornstarch
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons coconut extract
2 1/2 cups milk
4 large egg yolks
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into pieces
½ cup toasted coconut flakes
- Place a fine-mesh sieve over a medium bowl; set aside. In a medium saucepan, off heat, whisk together sugar, cornstarch, and salt. Gradually whisk in milk, taking care to dissolve cornstarch. Whisk in egg yolks.
- Whisking constantly, cook over medium heat until the first large bubble forms and sputters. Reduce heat to low; still whisking, cook 1 minute. Remove from heat; immediately pour through sieve into bowl. Stir butter and coconut extract into hot pudding.
- Place plastic wrap directly on surface of pudding (to prevent skin from forming); chill at least 3 hours.
- In a saucepan heat sweetened coconut flakes until they begin to brown and become fragrant. Take off heat immediately they will burn.
6 1/2 ounces graham crackers (12 crackers), finely ground
2 1/2 ounces (5 tablespoons) unsalted butter, melted
1/4 cup sugar
1/8 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Pulse graham cracker crumbs, butter, sugar, and salt in a food processor until combined.
- Firmly press crumb mixture into bottom and up sides of dish. Place individual dishes onto a sheet pan. Bake until crust is fragrant and edges are golden, 12 to 14 minutes. Let cool completely on a wire rack.
- To make pudding pie, layer pudding in dish on top of graham crust to fill about ¾ of a small weck jar. Top with Drunken Monkey Banana Lime Jam ¼ inch thick or to your liking. *Optional - top with fresh whipped cream, toasted coconut and fresh lime zest. Eat. Enjoy.
Let Me Eat Cake/ @Letmeeatcake on Twitter/Instagram