Smokey Mashed Potatoes
Thanksgiving cannot exist without mashed potatoes. Whether you prefer them lumpy or smooth, skinned or skin-on, mashed potatoes are the perfect receptacle for gravy, a flavor conduit for your leftover sandwich on Friday, mashed potatoes are key to a successful Thanksgiving meal. Add in a touch of Beyond the Olive's Smoked Olive Oil and bring this years potatoes to the next level. Artisan ingredients used: Beyond The Olive Smoked Olive Oil
4 Medium Russet Potatoes, or other starchy potato. General rule of thumb is 1 potato per person.
1/2 Cup, Unsalted Butter
1/2 Cup, Heavy Cream
Salt, for seasoning potatoes and for heavily salting cooking water
Cold Water, enough to cover potatoes in a pot
Beyond The Olive Smoked Olive Oil, To Taste. We used 1 Tablespoon.
- Peel your potatoes and cut them into medium sized pieces (to help cook faster and more evenly).
- Place potatoes in a pot big enough to cover them with water without boiling over.
- Cover the potatoes with cold water.
- Heavily salt the pot. The water should taste like the ocean.
- Bring the water to a simmer and cook until potatoes are easily pierced all the way through with a knife.
- While the potatoes are cooking, heat milk and cream in a separate pot until melted. Do not allow to boil or simmer.
- Once the potatoes are cooked, drain out the water.
- Mash the potatoes! We like to use a potato rices to get a smooth consistency. Feel free to mash to your desired consistency. Be careful not to work the potatoes too much or they will become gummy.
- Add in your cream and butter mixture a little at a time until desired consistency is reached.
- Season with salt and Beyond The Olive Smoked Olive Oil.