Recipe Feature: Hibiscus Syrup
Our March // 2014 basket features a delicious and floral Hibiscus Syrup. The FareTrade Founders Max and Jake were experimenting in their test kitchen using the syrup and got to thinking - "How can we make our own Hibiscus Syrup?".
After doing some research online, they came across this great and simple recipe by blogger Playful Cooking that any Epicurean Adventurer can create in their own home.
Find the recipe below or visit the original blog post.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 25 minutes
- 4 cups water
- 3/4 cup dried hibiscus flowers
- 1 inch ginger, finely grated
- 2 whole star anise
- zest of 1 lemon
- 1 cup sugar (add more if you like it sweeter)
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- In a deep pan, mix all the ingredients and bring it to a boil.
- Once it starts to boil, reduce the heat to medium and let it simmer for 10 minutes.
- Turn off the heat, cover it with a lid and let it steep for 5 more minutes.
- Strain it through a sieve and store the syrup in an airtight bottle.
To learn how March's Featured Chef: Jamie Malone uses our P&H Soda Co.'s Hibiscus Syrup in a Lagoustine Crudo with Hibiscus Broth and a Hibiscus-Habanero Margarita, sign-up for The FareTrade today!