Baia Twins Pasta with Crab, Cream Sauce
1 Tablespoon, Vegetable Oil
2 Large Shallots, Diced
1/2 Fennel Bulb, Trimmed + Diced
4 Cloves Garlic, Chopped
2 Tablespoons, Pernod (optional)
1 Cup, White Wine
1 Sprig, Fresh Tarragon
2 Cups, Heavy Cream
1/2 Cup, Whole Milk
14 Ounces, Baia Twins Pasta
6 Ounces, Fresh Crabmeat, Picked For Shells + Cartilage
1/4 Cup, Proscuitto, Finely Diced
1 Teaspoon, Dried Red Pepper Flakes
1/2 Cup, Freshly Grated Parmesan Cheese, (Plus More For Garnish)
1/4 Cup, Herb Crumbs
Salt + Freshly Ground White Pepper
1. Heat the oil in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the shallots, fennel, and garlic and cook until the shallots begin to soften, about 2 minutes. Continue cooking until the liquid has reduced by half, about 5 minutes. Add the cream and milk and turn the heat down to medium-low. Continue to cook until the cream sauce is reduced by half, 10 to 12 minutes.
2. Strain the cream sauce through a fine mesh sieve and discard the aromatics. Return the cream sauce to the stove in a small saucepan and bring it to a simmer over medium heat. Reduce the sauce to 1 1/2 cups, about 15 minutes.
3. At the same time, bring a large stockpot of heavily salted water to a boil over high heat. Add the pasta and cook until just tender. Drain the pasta well.
4. Add the pasta, crab, red pepper flakes, and Parmesan to the cream sauce, stirring until the cheese has melted evenly. Season the sauce with salt and pepper to taste.
5. Divide the pasta among 4 bowls. Top each portion with 1 tablespoon of herb crumbs and more grated Parmesan.