Woodson's Mill Wild Mushrooms Grits
For the Grits:
- 2 Cups, Woodson's Mill Grits
- 3 1/2 Cups, Water
- 3 Tablespoons, Unsalted Butter
- Salt + Pepper, To Taste
For the Mushrooms:
- 1 1/2 lbs, Mixed Mushrooms, Sliced and Torn to Bite Sized Pieces
- 1 Medium Shallot, Sliced
- 1 Tablespoon, Minced Fresh Rosemary
- 1 Ounce, Vegetable Oil
- 1 Cup, Beef Stock (can substitute chicken, vegetable, or mushroom stock)
- 2 Ounces, Bourbon
- 2 Tablespoons, Unsalted Butter
- In a medium sauce pan, whisk together the grits and water, and place over high heat.
- Bring the grits to a boil, and reduce heat to medium low, simmer for 20 minutes, stirring often.
- Heat a large sauté pan over medium heat.
- When pan is very hot, but not smoking, add the oil.
- Add the mushrooms to the pan, and sauté, allowing to brown slightly.
- Add the shallots, and cook until just translucent.
- Remove the mushrooms and shallots from the heat, and deglaze with the bourbon.
- Return the pan to the heat, allow the bourbon to cook off for about 30 seconds, and add stock and rosemary.
- Reduce the stock by half, then vigorously whisk in the 2 tablespoons of butter to emulsify.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper and remove from the heat.
- When grits are cooked, add the butter, season with salt and pepper, and transfer to a serving bowl.
- Top the grits with the mushroom mixture, and serve immediately.