Morrocan Lamb Ragu
Savory, layered with flavors and ultimately comforting, this pasta ragu from Chef Kris Morningstar is a dish we find ourselves coming back to time-and-time again. Especially in the colder winter months.
1 Tablespoon, Canola Oil
2 Pounds, Ground Lamb
1 White Onion, Chopped
2 Cloves, Garlic, Minced
1 Teaspoon, Cloves, Ground
1 Teaspoon, Cinnamon, Ground
1/2 Quart, Homemade Lamb Stock (Beef Stock Is An Ideal Substitute)
2/3 Cup, Greek Style Feta Cheese, Crumbled
3 Teaspoons, Fresh Oregano, Rough Chopped
1 Can, Chopped Tomatoes
4 Quarts, Water
1 Package, Semolina Artisanal Pasta, Rigatoni
2 Tablespoons, Finishing Olive Oil
Salt, To Taste
1. Boil water. Add approximately 1 tablespoon of salt per quart of water.
2. Heat pan. Add canola oil. Add ground lamb in small chunks making sure to provide space in between meat to ensure proper browning.
3. After meat is caramelized add white onion and cook for 3-4 minutes, until translucent. Add garlic and stir into mixture, ensuring not caramelized.
4. Add stock and canned tomatoes. Bring mixture to boil and reduce to simmer, approx 8-10 minutes.
5. At the same time add pasta to boiling water, cooking until al dente, approx. 6 minutes
6. Add the oregano, cinnamon, and clove to the sauce, stirring until incorporated well.
7. Remove pasta from water and add directly to sauce, cooking the pasta until it is glossy and has absorbed sauce, approx. 3-4 minutes
Place pasta in bowl of choice and garnish with crumbled Greek feta cheese. Drizzle with finishing olive oil and salt to taste.